small_ball

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

TWINS RETIRE #28 ON BERT BLYLEVEN DAY



It all started on January 5 of this year, when I got the call from Jack O’Connell, President of the Baseball Writers Association of America, informing me that I had been elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Since that phone call it has been a roller coaster ride for my wife Gayle and me. How can I describe the excitement that Gayle and I just went through over the past 2 weeks? It will be difficult but I will give it my best.



On Saturday, July 16, the Minnesota Twins organization honored me with the retirement of my uniform #28. My number is only the 6th number retired by the Twins, along with baseball great Jackie Robinson’s #42.

It is my honor to join Harmon Killebrew #3, Rod Carew #29, Kirby Puckett #34, Tony Oliva #6 and Kent Hrbek #14. I only wished that Harmon and Kirby were able to be there for my ceremony.



The Twins organization did a great job and I want to thank everyone involved, especially Andy Price, Senior Director, Broadcasting and Game Presentation, and Patrick Klinger, Vice President of Marketing, for their help. Even my wife Gayle was involved in a surprise that the Twins presented me that day.



The Twins first had Hrbek, Oliva, Carew and myself walk (or for me, try to run) from left center field into the infield where the ceremony took place. Gayle and most of our children and 2 of our 6 grandchildren were already there waiting.



Dick Bremer and John Gordon did the announcing for the ceremony and did a great job.

First the Twins invited some diplomats from Zeist, Holland, where I was born, and a gentleman from the Dutch Embassy, in Washington, DC, who presented me with some nice gifts: a few framed letters, a photo from Zeist and some Dutch wooden shoes. Of course, I removed my own shoes and wore them the rest of the ceremony.



After that, with the help of Rod, Tony and Kent, the Twins presented me with 3 framed Twins jerseys that were worn during my time with the organization. Dave St. Peter, President of the Twins, then presented me with a new set of Callaway golf clubs that were brought onto the field from the Twins dugout by former Twins manager Tom Kelly.



Jim Pohlad, Chief Executive Officer, then presented Gayle with a beautiful charm bracelet - and presented us with a check for $10,000 from the Twins Community Fund, to contribute to the fight against Parkinson’s, the disease that took my pop’s life in 2004.

And what a surprise when the current Twins players all came out on the field and presented me with a “Circle Me” number 28 that all the players, coaches and manager had signed. WOW! All the gifts are priceless.

After I had a chance to thank the Twins for retiring my number, and for all the gifts, I had the honor of throwing out the first pitch. George Mitterwald, my first Major League catcher in 1970, flew all the way from Florida with his wife Susan, and was at home plate to catch the pitch. Just to let you know : I made it all the way in the air to George.



What a great day - and again, thank you to the Twins organization for retiring my number #28!

Please check out our NEW updated website at www.bertblyleven.com or our other site at www.circlemebert.com. Through these sites we are raising funds for Parkinson’s and other charitable organizations.

Thank you and you are all “Hereby Circled”

Bert Blyleven,
HOF 2011

P.S. Check out our journey to Cooperstown in my next blog